View Single Post
Old 01-15-17, 09:20 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Those trees, which will block motorists' view of cyclists, and vice versa, are also going to make that nice, smooth surface an absolute nightmare in just a few years. Even cobblestones are smoother than asphalt with adjacent trees. I hope they budgeted for lots of root planing and repaving, otherwise these side paths may be useless before they attract any users.
If they actually grow.

I've always wondered if they haven't created a special hybrid 'developer' tree that never really grows. When you see the artist's rendition of what a commercial development will become, the trees are always large and lush and beautiful. But in reality, they put in those small trees and they seem to never actually grow. Twenty years later, they don't look much different from when they were planted. I don't know if it's the trees themselves or if it's just that with all that pavement the root system never develops properly due to lack of oxygen and water, but there are dozens of developments around here over a decade old where the trees have just never really taken hold. They're still alive, but they never grow any larger.