View Single Post
Old 01-15-17, 03:10 PM
karlkras
CycleManiaque

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Diamondback Podium 7, Focus Izalco Tria 1.0, Surly LHT, Raleigh Technium, Brodie Romax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, the name's Karl, and I'm a clyde again.

Finally got the nerve to stand on the scale this morning, typical pattern of avoidance. I'm now at an all time high of 240 lbs, at 5'11" and feel it.
2 1/2 years ago prior to a pulmonary embolism I was down to 175 and in the best (at least I thought) shape in years. Since then my fitness has been going continuously downhill. Medicating myself with comfort food and too much beer I've been packing it on. Not that I'm blaming my illness necessarily, since I've been on this this weight/fitness roller coaster for most of my adult life (I'm now pushing 60).
Well now it's gotta end. It's not going to get any easier going forward and I have no intention of becoming a heart attack statistic.
A few months ago I stopped participating in the weekly club rides because I was too embarrassed with both my riding proficiency and physical presentation... I used to be one of the fast skinny guys not so long ago.

I've purchased an indoor trainer (wahoo kickr) and started using Zwift to get my FTP baseline and put together a training strategy. Looking to do ~4 sessions per week along with some dumbell and body weight work. Also got up the nerve to get my measurements updated so I can start tracking and paying attention again.

And of course diet. I'm planning on cutting way back on the beer/alcohol and heavy carb intake that I've been allowing myself. Signed up for myfitnespal so I can keep track of this too.

Anyway... thanks to anyone for listening. Just needed to get this out so I could make it real.

tail winds,
Karl