Old 01-15-17, 05:22 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
I have mini-Vs with Campagnolo shifters. The fancy TRP CX 8.4
These 84mm ones are the right size for my brake levers. Some road levers need 90mm brakes.

They work fine now. I had problems along the way:

I have the newer wide rims, 25mm external width. The brakes just aren't designed for these rims, the brake arms are tilted outward instead of being essentially vertical. The rims were too wide for even the smallest brake spacers that came with the brakes.

The stock pads were extremely grabby. I had to be really careful on hard braking, so I did downhills at a way slower speed than usual. Lots of squealing, too. I suppose this might be related to the wide rims and non-optimal geometry of the arms. But the pads are kind of cheap, I think.

I got low profile Kool Stop Salmon pads, Kool Stop Thinline. These work great. The pads have good modulation, essentially no squealing, and allow the brake arms to be vertical. It's a huge difference.

The barrel adjuster on the noodle works fine to set the pad spacing at the rims, and the centering adjustment on the arms is easy.

Removing wheels
The pads need to be adjusted quite close to the rims. This makes it hard to pull the arm link off the curved noodle, even with the pads squeezed onto the rim. But the Campagnolo brakes are actually perfect for this, since they have a brake release button on the lever, instead of down at the brake. So I can release more slack at the lever, then unhook the brake noodle very easily. Shimano brakes don't have this feature.

Even after releasing the noodle, I still can't easily get 40c tires off, it's a little too tight, but 35c slide right through.

Bending the noodle

My rear brake has a short length of housing and the stock 90 degree noodle made it stick out a lot, not the best angle.
I got a tiny pipe bender at Harbor Freight, 1/8" thru 1/4", for $10. It worked great to increase the bend to maybe 110-120 degrees. Perfect.

Last edited by rm -rf; 01-15-17 at 05:46 PM.