Old 01-16-17, 08:04 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Maybe not, but most likely you have been riding internal cam skewers like Shimanos and Campagnolos until now...and the Mavics. They have a much stronger grip than external cam skewers like the light weight models even big name ones like Enve. It is just the inferior design. You have to put a lot more force into the clamping in order to get the same grip on the dropouts. Also check that the threads on your skewer rod and nut are deep enough to hold under high tension. You may have just bought a crappy pair. Most people can get external cam skewers to do the job, but every now and then someone just can't make them work, especially on horizontal dropouts. External cam skewers were never intended for anything but vertical dropouts.
^This was my initial thought as well - external cam skewers. They sure are a terrible design, and seem to be everywhere now, and I could see a Ti version being even less reliable than a steel version. I have them (steel versions) for the first time on a newer bike I put together and I dont have a lot of confidence in them.