View Single Post
Old 01-16-17, 11:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Mri G.
Thanks for your concern @indyfabz and we did take your month/weather post into account. Due to that, we've decided to see what other routes are available.

The other day I had a back and forth email exchange with someone from Adventure Cycling with whom I have had dealing regarding routing, etc. I was looking for some specific information regarding a particular part of a tour I have planned for MT and ID this June. She told me they have gotten a lot of snow so far this year and expect more.

One important thing you have to realize about the GD route is that if you may be days from the nearest highway and any services. Things may look fine at point A, but if you go out on a portion of the route, end up in the middle of one of those stretches and get hit with a storm or find the way impassible due to conditions that you didn't anticipate when you started the stretch, you won't simply be able to walk your bikes a couple of miles to the nearest paved, plowed highway. And as for being rescued, I would be concerned with being sent a bill. Choppers cost a lot to operate.