View Single Post
Old 01-18-17, 12:00 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4488 Post(s)
Liked 4,160 Times in 2,783 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeliciousBabe
Hi. I finally joined bike forums. Looking for advice on a new touring sleeping bag!

My spending limit is $300. I'm looking for one <+25*F and <2lbs. I prefer male sleeping bags since female ones are often heavier and have a higher EN rating.

I'm 4'11" & 98lbs if that helps narrow it down.

Here's the catch...

The sleeping bag must be vegan. I won't use any product that contains any type of animal product.

Thanks much
Welcome, welcome welcome!!!!!!!!!! If the name doesn't give it away, I am vegan and always happy to see others especially asking about more than just food : )

As far as bag I am quite happy with my Mountain Hardwear UltraLumina. I have the 45 degree version but they get warmer and I believe they now have the HyperLamina which is way lighter but eliminates a full zip and instead has a half zip in the middle. Their 20˚ version is a touch over 2lbs but is within price and certainly a nice one. I might end up with one of the Hypers at some point because I could use something a little warmer for some trips.

Make sure you have a good sleeping pad as that is crucial to staying warm. You could have a -25˚ bag in 45˚ weather and still be cold if you don't have something insulating you from below. Most of your heat is going to be lost through the ground. Plus a pad will add some comfort depending on the pad. My choice would be one of the new Sea To Summit pads they are pretty light (depending on model), really top notch in comfort, easy/quick to inflate and deflate and won't get moldy inside. They aren't the cheapest pads but probably the best I have seen or used and after a long day in the saddle or hiking around price can drown in a lake, comfort is key!

Feel free to PM me if you have any other vegan questions, I love it when I get a chance to help a fellow vegan out!

xVx