View Single Post
Old 01-21-17, 07:17 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you are going with disks there will be the leftover brake braise ons at the fork. It would be a little lower than the fork crown, but you may be able to use that somehow. If you are getting the basket you may be able to fashion an elegant light mount for that to. The light will only shine straight though, as the rack it attached to the frame and not the turning portion of the bike (which I'm sure you are aware of).

Another thing I've noticed on the HAD is that the lower (very low) standover height is quite helpful when you have a load. You cannot balance the bike with your legs when straddling the top tube like the Big Dummy, but getting on and off is much better. Less of a balancing act. Funny that the first few times on either of my Bike Fridays I almost dropped the bike when I straddled it and forgot that the top tube (bar) didn't help that at all!

Also, that triangle that is formed by the extra tubes on the heavier duty frame not only help in reducing up and down flex, but also torsional flex. That to me (i.e., torsional flex) is the worst part of carrying a load, as the front of the bike has to compensate for movement in the rear of the bike. That means that you need to steer in the direction of the flex, making you zig zag a little down the road.

Lastly (for now), my Kryptonite Keeper chain lock loops twice perfectly around the rear of the rack, so I can place it there and forget it.