View Single Post
Old 01-21-17, 08:50 PM
northerntier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
The problem here is that each time you stop for a traffic light or for a break, rather than pause, your ride will stop. This will cause a new ride to start when you start moving again. Both GPS units and phone apps have an auto pause feature that work that way but they don't stop the ride id you're not moving. It's why you have to manually start and stop a ride with the current systems out on the market.
Obviously there would be thresholds, just like with auto-pause features. This is not rocket-science. I don't even need GPS. Here's one heuristic: after my sensors stop talking to the phone for 10 minutes, go back to the last time they recorded a move and call that the end of the ride. Poof, done.

No, I assume the real reason this doesn't exist is there aren't enough nutso commuters like me that want to track every ride and are too lazy to press the start/stop button.

I've got every ride of mine in the last decade in a database. About 3500 for around 33,000 miles, 10,000 of them touring miles :-).

(I do realize that these are low numbers for some of you.)