no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
How do lights help keep you safer in either of those situations? Are you not able to slow down to avoid cross traffic or pedestrians? Even young children are able to cross the street safely and avoid pedestrians in daylight on the bike path without the assistance of headlights.

We've had a bit of a warm streak here in Chicagoland, so I've seen a lot more people out riding their bikes than I normally would this time of year. Curiously, it seems like fewer people as a percentage were using headlights during the daytime this past weekend than I normally see in the warmer months. It also struck me that most of the people I saw out over this past weekend were fast, which I guess makes sense that mostly serious cyclists are going to get out when it’s 40° in January. This recent observation has led me to believe that there might be an inverse relationship between speed and propensity to use headlights during the day. Just a theory. I have no data to back it up other than my casual observations riding on the north shore of Chicago. Seems like whenever I see a group of fast guys go by during the day there are no lights, and whenever I see a headlight during the day, the rider using it is usually not fast. Occasionally I’ll see a fast guy with a headlight during the day, but that seems to be the exception, and of course not all slow riders use headlights. There also seems to be a positive correlation between age and propensity to use lights during the daytime, but age is also inversely correlated with speed so that could just be a confounding factor. I’m not sure.
Perhaps as you get more experience with riding around others you'll be able to comprehend the benefits of being more visible. Especially when having to wait half way across 5 lanes of traffic that's moving at around 40 mph. Or after you encounter anyone so absorbed by their phone/iPod they are oblivious to their surroundings. Perhaps after you get more experience you'll be able to appreciate the benefits of increased visibility, all it takes is one close call for most of us to see why the experienced riders want to be more visible.

Occasionally I'll ride through a group of chaps playing cricket on the bike path. They serious enough to wear uniforms and have some sort of league, and often are pretty involved in their game as I approach. Yet they usually notice me coming due to my lights and move out the way so I can safely pass allowing us all to share the path peacefully. Please explain how making myself less visible to them would be beneficial in this situation.