Old 01-26-17, 07:33 PM
kbarj

Bikes: Trek 8.3 DS (21)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
If you ride very early or late in the date, get some high visibility stuff -- helmet, at least....

On streets/roads shared by vehicles, I'd suggest adding some blinkies, especially on the backs of the helmets -- including yours....
And on the bike trails remind the li'l rascals to stay to the right and check behind them before moving toward the center or left of the lane. They should practice this in a safe place without competing bike or foot traffic. It's not easy for anyone to master looking over the shoulder without weaving on a bike.
Thank you. While he's got the high visibility gear and blinkie lights, I didn't think about that for my helmet. It might help him find me should I get too far ahead. We do practice staying to the right and calling out "on your left" when passing hikers or slower riders (very rare now, but that could change).

Originally Posted by John E
I am looking forward to riding with my grandson, but he is only 22 months old.

I am very impressed with the story of adopting a 6-year-old. Bravo!
Good luck on riding with your grandson. Great pic! I think everyone who has made positive comments about the adoption would have done the exact same thing in our place. It was simply the right thing to do.

Originally Posted by mikeybikey2
Consider a tandem. I have five grandchildren and have great success with this approach. You never have to worry where they are at or keeping up. Also, they feel more like and active participant unlike a trail-a-bike
Thank you. Might have tried that earlier, but at this point he really likes having his own bike.

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I never had a son, only one daughter, so when my grandson was born I had visions of making him a BMX racer like his old Paw Paw was. Not. When he turned four I got him a bike. Two years later, it still has the training wheels on it and is sitting in his backyard rusted. He does absolutely nothing but play video games and watch you tube. I don't think he even plays with his toys anymore.
Since we don't allow video games and really limit TV, he is forced to play outside. He has grown to love it. He loves the outdoors, camping, hiking, biking, etc. Now when his school friends come over, he is always dragging them outside to play.