Old 01-27-17, 10:29 AM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
wow... what spares you need pdr ?

It was a small bolt that fell off from the clamping hinge... ordered a replacement from UK dealer and it never showed up. Thankfully I was able to find another bolt that fitted
many more generic parts on a Dahon or Tern than a Brompton.
That may be true.... but the frame quality of Dahon / Tern is not as good as Brompton
Get a Brompton tire in the middle of nowhere ... and that's just a part which you will need for sure.
They do make folding Kojak tyres ... and lets not forget some of the Dahons used 16" tyres
Not to mention anything handlebar or brake levers or that derailleur looking thing...
Well, as I say... I have been riding my 2008 Brompton for 8 years and I've not had any problem with the deraileur or the brake levers. The originals are still working fine

about those problems with Dahons... well? I don't know what happened there, but it seems that if was really out of aligment... if that would be a real problem, than there would be a lot of discussion about it with how many millions of Dahons out there ? I don't know what happened either. Perhaps they just had a bad batch of aluminium frames and I was unlucky twice? I weighed at the time around 170 lbs. The hinges wore and had visible play in them to the point that you could lift the bike up under the frame and see the seat and handlebars move.

The Dahon MU SL was a great looking bike and seemed to have some very nice components..... but in my personal experience the frame was the weak point. There is one significant advantage of the Brompton "wing nut" type clamps over all of the clamping levers used by many folding bikes and that is the correct tension / tightness is applied each and every time

about the fan club .... yeah you right .. the Brompton folks are a good bunch ...
Mostly ..
Said hello to somebody couple years back pushing pulling his Brommy through the snow at a trainstation.. oh boy was he a gruntled unpleasant person, maybe cause his tires were too small to ride through it ? in any case. he was a number, alright ... Does that mean all B owners are a holes ? Absolutely NOT.

Brompton owners can have off-days too.... especially in cold weather

yes I am also biased
Yes, I know and I wouldn't expect anything less...... your a Dahon / Tern dealer so you have to promote the brand you sell
thor
Thanks Thor

Last edited by PDR; 01-27-17 at 02:51 PM.