Old 01-30-17, 01:38 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by tudorowen1
SHBR...sounds as though you would be afraid to cross the road..let alone ride a bike..

I bought a bike on Ebay for $25 USD....an old Dahon clone ..steel.6 speed..20 inch wheel..Used it in Thailand the last 4 years in the winters....Last December rode it 300kms on a weeks tour down in the south of Thailand..
You do not need a 1500usd Brompton to travel the world..My old 25USD bike spends most of its time bumping around gravelled roads in Thailand..and I mean seriously bumpy roads..
You can tour the world on anything as long as the wheels turn..

And well done Mr. Downtube...there are plenty of good quality ,cheap bikes out there especially in Asia..
You can buy any frame, and get lucky, but if its not a major brand with warranty, good luck getting any support.

I have broken a couple of frames, both replaced under warranty. Also, both were the kinds of failures that would not have caused a serious crash. I just bought a "steel" Dahon folder, because it seems to be overbuilt, sure there are lighter smaller folders, however I'd rather not have to second guess what I am riding, especially way out in the countryside, far away from any bike shop.