View Single Post
Old 02-05-17, 08:30 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I'm curious how that camper long flap works without any support. Do your legs rub against it?
No...or at least I don't notice any rub

The weight isn't bad. It's around a kilogram but you don't need a rear rack and saves much of the weight of the bag. Plus that flap extension seems ideal for a wet tent. How much of a pita is it to remove or do you just leave it on the bike when you camp?
It's easy to take on and off the bike, just three straps. It's not as fast as clipping a pannier onto a rack, but as it only takes 30 secs I don't mind. I will often leave the bag on the bike over night.

Tire rub can be an issue when not using a support and it's vital to pack the bag tightly so that it doesn't droop. Also the buckles of the mounting straps need to be inside the bag so it can be tight against the saddle also minimizing droop. I have a 56cm bike and have 2cm clearance between the bag and the tire.

The Carradice Camper longflap weighs 2lbs, which isn't good. I have a Carradice Overlander saddlebag that is as big, made out of nylon and weighs half as much......but there's no longflap so I prefer the Camper.