10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I do not think you are going to be able to reduce the volume of the tent enough to make a compression sack worth it.

I generally do not bother with compression sacks for anything that is not insulated, since only insulated stuff reduces volume so much with pressure.

I did something similar, front right Ortlieb Frontroller has the tent body, fly, footprint if I carry one (usually don't), small stuff sack with stakes - the stake sack keeps the dirt from the stakes off the tent. Also in the same pannier, rolled up air mattress and flip flops. Tent poles in the tent stuff sack are strapped onto rear rack with velcro. Note that I do not even bring the stuff sack that the tent came with since I just shove it in a pannier.

Staehpj1, I suspect you are not using four panniers, since you are an ultra light camper not sure if you even use two. But in your case instead of the Ortlieb Frontroller that I use, I think a lightweight drybag of about 8 or 10 or 12 liters would make more sense. Then just strap that on top of the rear rack - or maybe hang it from the front bars in bikepacker fashion.

Instead of a tent footprint, sometimes I bring one of those one-time-use disposable emergency space blankets. I only would use it if I was camping on gravel or rock and was afraid it would chafe my tent. But if there is soft ground or green grass or loose sand, I just put the tent on the ground. Since I started carrying that instead of a footprint, I have never camped where I thought I would actually need it, so the emergency space blanket is still brand new.

In the photo, the tent poles are in the blue bag under the pita bread.

Hubba hubba tent, I know several people that really like it. I suspect you will too.
All my TENT gear is Stuffed in The Front Panniers