View Single Post
Old 02-05-17, 02:21 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by PeakBoy
Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I'd trust my ability to swap the parts over without doing some damage.
I'm going to make a quick video showing the conversion process but it is really simple. All you need is 1.5mm and 2mm hex keys.

I would recommend some compressionless cable housings for best feel with these brakes. Yokozuna Reaction, Jagwire or TRP are options. I have Yokozuna Reactions installed and the feel is very close to a full hydraulic set up.
I'm about to buy a Yokozuna Reaction kit as it appears to be good value for all that's included, and available in white! However, I would like to know if you had any trouble routing the brake housing on your handlebars? TRP includes some flexible pieces for the bars which has me wondering how stiff some of these newe housings are. Years ago I used Jagwire Compressionless brake housing on my commuter with an Avid BB7 front brake and had no issue on the handlebars. I feel like I've read about handlebar issues elsewhere, too.

The installation instructions can be a bit confusing. To get brake pad automatic adjustment it's important not to have too much tension on the cables (tight cables but the arm retaining screw should be able to be secured by hand). The screw should be disengaged when the brakes are in use or the pads reportedly won't adjust and brake performance is lost when the pads wear.
Looking forward to your first ride report.
I had to do some searching to confirm but I did manage to figure out the bit about how to get self-adjusting brakes. TRP could make that a lot more clear, though. Their warnings are quite clear with tags on the arm retaining screws but they leave it up to a short blurb on the product page to explain an otherwise confusing procedure.

I'm looking forward to riding this bike, too. I'm nearly finished building the wheels which has been a frustrating experience thanks to attempting to use a truing stand not designed for thru axle hubs, and because of the replaceable end cap feature on the Bitex hubs that makes aligning the wheel in the stand consistently darn near impossible. I need to design something like a thru axle fork end but in truing stand form for working on this wheel in the future.