Old 02-05-17, 07:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5834 Post(s)
Liked 2,671 Times in 1,487 Posts
I've been in the bike biz all my adult life. Before I was in the biz, I rode top end bikes, but back then the best wasn't all that expensive at about 4-5 times the price of a basic bike ($165 vs. $35).

Knowing bikes the way I do, I buy value, looking to get most of the benefits of truly great bikes, without spending top dollar. IMO, that sweet spot is at the B or C lever, ie. Campy Chorus, or Shimano Ultegra or 600.

Besides the bikes themselves, I continue to look for real value, in spares like tires and accessories, and quite frankly am amazed at what people will pay for stuff like trendy bells or lights.

IMO, the question isn't whether people have plenty of money or not as much as it is their attitudes about consumption and spending. I don't believe that spending crazy amounts for stuff makes sense unless there's clear value, namely a measurable difference between the costly vs. the less costly but still good stuff.

But that's just me, and I never impose my opinion on anyone. When someone shows me their pricey new bike, I simply say something like "nice bike" and move the conversation along.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.