View Single Post
Old 12-17-05, 01:17 PM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
i just had a genius idea!

ok, so I was riding in the extreme cold of maryland (ok...I'm a wuss, it was 36F) and I went to eat my powerbar. now, I'm an experienced cyclist, and generally, I have no trouble unwrapping and eating a powerbar on the go. however, I had a ***** of a time trying to get the thing open. it took me probably 30 seconds of no-hands riding to get it open. once that hurdle was done, I had to eat the thing, and of course it was hard as a rock. I bit off a piece and held it to the side of my mouth so it would melt enough for me to be able to chew it. it was unpleasent to say the least with a hunk of powerbar lodged in my cheek. I had snot dripping out of my nose as I tried to breath with a HR of ~130 or so out of my nostrils.

anyway, this experience galvanized me. why not a "winterblend" powerbar? I switched to 5W-30 instead of 10W-30 oil, and I have winter blend washer fluid in my car. Sam adams even has a special winter beer. Why not winterblend powerbars? It could have bigger flaps to open with gloves, maybe two of them with reinforced material so that it opens up into one piece. the flaps would be texturized so that gloves can grip better.

the bar itself would also have to be different, softer in cold weather, with perhaps a different nutritional blend for cold weather sports.

i think its a pretty decent idea, lemme know what you guys think.

I've included a rough "paint" sketch of what the packaging could look like. note the texturized flaps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
winterblend.jpg (21.3 KB, 49 views)