canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Does your 50 have the same textured lens that the Pro 80 has, to spread the beam out? I've set up my bike and then rode another bike nearly 1,000 feet down the street in bright sunlight, and the Pro 80's are HIGHLY visible from that distance even during the day.
Nope, clear lens. It's highly concentrated to be most visible when directly behind the bike. Theoretically this should nudge tailgating drivers off to the side, where the intensity falls off. But it comes at the cost of side visibility.

I've noticed similar patterns with other riders using the Hotshot 80 in local nighttime group rides. It's uncomfortable to ride directly behind them because the light is so intense -- really too much for group rides, and there's no way to turn down the brightness on anything but steady mode. I'm not sure the textured or Fresnel type lens makes much difference.

Apparently automobile makers and nations can't reach any consensus on SAE vs ECE standards for headlights, so we probably won't see any standards for bicycle lights to settle which is supposedly the most effective.

So I'm going with the more individual, separate is better theory. I also use older style combination LED taillight/reflectors on both bikes. While less bright overall they have better side visibility. And I use a Blackburn 2'Fer in red flashing mode on the back of my helmet. And I plan to add more for side visibility.