View Single Post
Old 02-11-17, 01:15 PM
Eddie72

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VictorKnox
I'm an inch taller than you with the same inseam, but I'm on a larger frame, 60cm. (60cm top tube with 100mm stem.) I was having the same issues as you, dealing with lower back pain. At first I thought it was a result of being too stretched out, but raising and/or shortening the reach did not help. I also realized that when sitting on the bike just coasting, I didn't feel too stretched, but the back pain persisted even on short rides. What finally worked for me was moving the saddle forward. A LOT. Something like 2cm or more. Note that I did not do this to shorten the reach, I did it to change my position in relation to the pedals. I'm no expert, but I feel like before with the saddle where it was, when I pushed on the pedals, I had to push my legs forward, which rolled my hips back, and arched my back. I used to have to consciously think about rolling my hips forward and keeping my back straight/flat. With the new forward position, my hips and back naturally fall in to this position, and I have NO pain in my back. Plus, I'm actually thinking I need to now buy a longer stem since I shortened the reach quite a bit when I moved the saddle.

I hope you find something that works, I know how frustrating it is to deal with fit issues.

Thanks for the reply. I guess it depends a lot on the frame geometry, a forward saddle didn't work for me so I've been moving the saddle back to get weight off my hands. Rode with an 80mm stem today and all felt good. Part of me would prefer to be riding a 130mm stem mounted nice and low, but I guess comfort comes before vanity!