View Single Post
Old 02-20-17, 12:29 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by churnman
I crashed last year and the helmet did save my life. Was knocked out for about 48 hours and a CAT scan showed that my brain had been bruised to the point of bleeding.

I have a large head (7 5/8ths) and had to find a XL helmet. Bell says they make one but I have never seen it for sale. Ended up with a GIRO savant. Did not want to buy a black helmet as I thought the color would build heat faster on sunny days.

There must be someone else here who wears a black helmet. Do you feel the color makes is warmer in wearing than some other color? I am a fair weather rider and it will be a couple of months before I will use it.

incidentally, the crack in the foam was the circumference of a grapefruit and toward the lower edge. I bought into three concepts; 1. don't use a helmet that has been involved in a crash, 2. the MIPS standard makes sense and may have lessened my impact had the outer shell shifted more to where my melon was. and 3. the price of helmet will always be less than the co-pay at an emergency room.
DAMN! I hope that didn't leave any lasting damage.

I've been wearing black helmets for years with no noticeable heat issues. The main heat-related issue on a helmet is the venting, not the color. This is me after a 140-mile day with temps around 90F and high-humidity.

13419148_10153640684736444_975876020903503743_n.jpg