View Single Post
Old 02-20-17, 11:26 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ysbrand
I don't want to start a smartphone versus dedicated cycle-computer discussion and I very well understand why for some people a dedicated Garmin eTrex is the better solution. But for those of you that think a phone might do the job: it does for me. Note: I only use it for navigation and track logging, not for measuring heartbeats and cadence.

I use an old Galaxy S4 (100 US$ on eBay) plus a supersize battery (30 US$ on eBay) which will make the phone run for three days.

Tracks I prepare off-line using Google Maps, and then I upload the resulting gpx-track into my phone. The phone has OsmAnd with all maps downloaded so I don't need internet while biking.

For more detail, I wrote a small tutorial, here:

https://zwartwit.galama.net/posts/20...ke-navigation/
+1000000

Thanks for sharing this and I learned a lot!!!!!

I have a cheap cell phone and I'm thinking of doing the same thing this summer. I will look at your option but will have to carry an external battery.

However, I find that Garmin really creates an integrated solution that's simpler and works very well. Saving your files online and loading them to your device is seamless. I do like that today's cell phones can be used as backup in case my Garmin starts having issues.

Thanks.