View Single Post
Old 02-21-17, 07:45 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
+1

I was wearing a dark gray helmet during the summer and it was hot. I stopped by a local bike shop and purchased a white Giro and could not believe how much cooler it was compared to the less expensive gray helmet. It's also possible that Giro makes a better helmet but in my opinion, the color had a lot do with temperature. It's the reason people were white colors and not black in 100 degree temperature.

However, I did purchase my first black one this winter, a Bern helmet. This will be for winter riding only and not summer.
Less expensive buys less effective-venting.

I wear white on my skin (see my pic above with white sleeves); however, the black shell of the helmet is not on the skin... there's a inch or two of polystyrene between the shell and my skin. Polystyrene is the same material used to make insulated coolers - it's not going to transfer the heat from the black shell to your scalp.

The only time a black helmet is going to be hotter is when you're not moving, and if you're not moving, take off the helmet.