Old 02-21-17, 10:10 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
I have a Garmin Vivoactive and am considering using it as my daily bike computer and I know it's compatible with Ant+ cadence, speed and heart rate sensors. I don't know if I'll ever use a chest heart strap, but I'm definitely interested in speed and cadence.
Anyone else use this setup? and if so, what are your thoughts? I'm no professional racer or anything, so, I don't need anything super fancy.
I've read DC Rainmakers review already and that's got a lot of good info. Just want to get some more opinions before I take the plunge.
Thank you!
I use a Fenix 3HR for a backup for when I forget to charge my normal bike computer. Same kind of thing. It works great for recording. I don't have a data display set up other than the default one - but I don't have any bike mount for it and on the wrist it's never pointing in a readable direction. I do most of my riding in groups that are going hard enough that checking my wrist isn't a distraction I want.

I bypass the built in LED HR sensor with a chest strap when I do. The Vivoactive doesn't store multiple bike profiles so if you have multiple bikes and have a set of sensors for each you'll have to re-pair the sensors (unless they've added this since I chose my watch...). I use a power meter, so that was the main reason I went with the more expensive Fenix.

There's an inexpensive bar mount ($15MSRP) for the Garmin watches that don't use the normal mount, and I'd recommend that if you're using it to actually watch your cadence on a ride.

Last edited by kc0bbq; 02-21-17 at 10:17 AM.