View Single Post
Old 02-21-17, 12:19 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Continental Touring Plus...Impressions

After a year, the Kenda Kwests on my Charge Plug wore out, and I bought Continental Touring Plus tires. Here are my impressions.

Tough to mount (really tough!). They seem to run small. They are 700x32 but are more like 700x30 or even 700x28 compared to the Kwests and the Kenda Small Block Eights. I base this judgement on how they fill (or don't fill) the fenders.

They are not supple, but they are not much stiffer than the Kwests were when new. The Kwests had softened up over the miles. The Small Block Eights had very supple sidewalls from the get go. I did not like the micro knobbies for pavement, they were slightly noisy, and while supple, were not sticky or grippy.

As I did with the previous two tires I am running Mr. Tuffy tire liners, although from what I read, I shouldn't need them with these Continental Touring Plus tires. as they have a protective layer built in. I may get bold and remove them at some point.

While they are stiffish, the Touring Pluses are sticky, which is good for handling and cornering. I also like the tread pattern, which looked less smooth than the Kwests, but has proven to feel as smooth and quiet.

A big plus, is that they don't seem to collect small pebbles and thorns as did the sipes in the Kwests, and the dimpled micro-knobbies of the Small Block Eights.

After running 700x23s on my old Nishiki road bike for a few years I went to 700x32 for more comfort. I mention this because the narrower dimensions of these Continental Touring Plus tires make them feel more like the old 700x23s I had with regard to "self centering" responsiveness and quick attitude changing while cornering, but at the recommended 70psi they don't feel anywhere as harsh as the old 100psi 23s. I inflated the previous two tires on my Charge Plug commuter and the nishiki roadbike tires to 85psi. I also noticed the new Conti's "narrowness" when I steered onto a loose-dirt shoulder I sometimes defer to on one stretch of my commute. Nothing dangerous or unpredictable, just a less secure feeling.

So after two commutes and some round the block adjustment rides last weekend, I am pleased with these tires, and my only complaints would be the difficulty in mounting, and the relative narrowness.

My overall time and speed were no different than usual, and my overall comfort is on par with the Kwests when they were new.

And, the reflective white stripe works well at night, and looks good on my bike. I just wonder how long it will stay clean.

That's it.

Just wanted to share.

Last edited by BobbyG; 02-21-17 at 12:27 PM.