Old 02-22-17, 12:09 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I don't remember the approach on either side being bad. I recall the surface on the dam being poor shape, but don't remember the approaches being in bad shape. It has been several years since I was there, so I looked at google street view to see and it looked about the way that I remember it. I guess the street view images could be a few years old. Has it gotten broken up just lately? Is it worse than it looks on street view? I moved away and have no plans to ride there any time soon, but I am curious.
When I rode it back in 2015, east to west, I remember coming down the drop towards the bridge and you and both factors to deal with, bad pavement and the disappearing shoulder. This was on a Wednesday around 4-5PM so that helped things out quite nicely. Probably closer to 4 than 5 PM. I remember the ride on into Baltimore seemed to take forever. I didn't remeber the bridge itself being that bad pavement wise, you had the usual bridge expansion cracks to deal with but the pavement didn't seem that bad. Climbing back out toward Baltimore I notice the same crappy pavement on the drop going down to the bridge.

I'll fess much doesn't bother me on a bike anymore, I've ridden so much crap that it takes a lot to make me even nervous. I hated the approach and not knowing how the drivers would respond to the cyclist definitely made me happy when I got to the other side. I can't say that I've had the same feelings with any other bridge crossing that I've been on thus far. Grant after riding across northern FL late on in the same trip I had a bit of anxiety heading toward the Pensacola Bay Bridge. I had already crossed two bridges, by force, on the sidewalk on the opposite side of the road not knowing until I was almost on the bridge deck that I was suppose to cross the road and take the sidewalk on the other side. Not knowing how they had the PBB setup I was definitely nervous approaching it. The darn $25 fine for changing a flat tire on the bridge made me laugh...keep the bridge deck clean and their should be no reason for the signs. Yeah, saw some broken glass while crossing the bridge. Made me wish I could cross the Lake Ponchatrain Bridge, only at a certain time of the year/day as wel.