Old 02-24-17, 10:09 AM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
I always gravitate to bars and levers when thinking about comfort on modern vs. older bikes.

Yes, handlebar geometry has changed. Deep drops are no longer in vogue. Now you have compact drop bars with shallower drops. You also have more handlebars with flatter ramps that make a more level transition to the brake levers, which to me is much more comfortable for riding on the hoods.

Brake levers have also changed. The hood area is wider to fit the space between the thumb and index finger better.

If I were you I'd like at getting some modern brake levers with wide hoods and a level ramp-to-hood transition. This illustration shows what I mean:

I have had great results with the Soma Highway 1 handlebar. It comes in multiple clamp sizes if you want to use it with a quill stem, and a polished finish. If you are looking for pure brake levers (not brifters) with wide, flat hoods, look at Tektro RL340 levers (if you are on a budget) or TRP RRL SR levers (if you can drop a bit more cash on a nicer product).
x2. dual pivot front brakes w TRP RRL levers worked for me. Leveled out the ramps and gave soild control to brakes.