View Single Post
Old 02-24-17, 05:07 PM
Vortac180

Bikes: Yamaha Moto-bike BMX, Panasonic DX2000 single speed, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I was a young adult, I was bit by one of two cute Chihuahuas that were inadvertantly let out the front door of a house by a young kid in Omaha while I was jogging by. I saw the dogs, and then forgot about them until I felt a tiny pinch on my calf. Barely drew blood. I helped the kid get the dogs on a leash and forgot about it.

When I was a teenager in rural Nebraska, I tried to protect my dog from a neighbor's Chow Chow, that was in our garage attacking my dog when I drove up. I still carry scars on my hand and thigh from that Chow. I called the police and the county police officer told me later he took care of the dog. I never found out what he meant by that.

I sometimes get chased by dogs while I'm riding on gravel roads and used to carry pepper spray, but I like dogs and realized I'll probably never spray one, so I stopped carrying it. Like others, I either sprint away or yell go home, or stop and let them sniff. Depends on how the dogs are acting. Getting bit is always a risk.

The worst thing that happened to me regarding dogs while on a bike: while riding in an urban area, a dog crossed three lanes of traffic to try to chase me, but was struck by a car crossing the street, then it limped off. I couldn't see where it went. I didnt know which house it came from. Finally, the car drove off, then I left as well. I still feel bad about that.

I work in an ER. The majority of dog bites I see in the ER happen when a dog bites its owner. Reporting follows hospital policy, which follows local law. In my hospital, the doctor is out of this loop. The hospital nursing staff decides, not the doctor. I believe the hospital does not always report dog bites, especially if the dog owner and the victim are the same person and requests no reporting. In most cases we do report to animal control, especially if there is significant injury. There is some judgement required--what constitutes a bite? E.G., if there was little or no injury, but the person just wants checked out, I'm not sure the hospital always reports in that case, either. We always assess tetanus status and address any potential rabies exposure, as well as infection potential. Sometimes we stitch bite wounds, sometimes not--depends on the wound, its age and it's likelihood of infection. Puncture wounds and deeper wounds have higher infection potential and usually should not be closed. Superficial wounds can sometimes be safely cleaned and stitched. There is little evidence antibiotics will protect you from infection from a dog bite.

Last edited by Vortac180; 02-24-17 at 05:54 PM.