Old 02-24-17, 09:13 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I haven't been on SART for a while, but was very surprised by all the homeless right on the trail when I went from Imperial to HB and back today. I saw a lot of police cars-- five or six that I can clearly recall-- so obviously they have greatly stepped up patrols around the encampments. I hope that when the weather dries out the campers will return to the other side of the berm. If they don't, I think I'll avoid riding SART to the extent it is possible.

Someone I know who has experience dealing with the homeless around here said, in effect, that it's not a social malaise to be cured by offering homes, money, food or camping equipment. The large majority are mentally ill and/or dealing with addiction issues. In his experience these people are there because they have pretty much ruined their relationships with connections they once tapped for support: family, local non-profits, local government resources, whatever. They don't want to live in a shelter, because in a shelter there are rules, like you're unwelcome if you're obviously wasted.

I think this is an intractable problem which will not be solved anytime soon. Local government is strapped for cash in pretty much every city, and as the pension problem worsens here in CA, more and more of today's dollars will be going to pay for yesterday's employees. I would be surprised if the shelter opening in Anaheim even makes a dent in the SART homeless population, but I hope they prove me wrong. Unfortunately, only a small segment of taxpayers use SART for cycling or running.