View Single Post
Old 12-18-05, 05:47 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by peripatetic
You're venting unfounded frustrations and twisting information. He didn't "accept something stolen," he may have found something that was stolen. The law goes after people who deal in stolen merchandise because those people enable thieves to make their enterprise profitable. The poster hasn't indicated that he's planning on doing this at all, and he didn't ask, "where's the nearest fence." The law does not penalize a person for finding stolen merchandise if they have no idea that it's stolen; but what it does require is that if a person suspects something is stolen, they attempt to return it to its rightful owner. Seems that's what the poster's doing. Seems like the alternative would have been for him to just leave the bike for someone else who might find it and maybe decide to try and sell it or its parts for a quick buck; in this case, if you're someone who sees something, and you know that you'll make the effort to return it, you're probably being as ethical as you can be. There wasn't even a seller to try and pin it on in this case. It's basically a rule in the big city: if you leave something out on the street, you're giving up your claim. We're talking context in this case. Before you decide a person's guilty, make sure you consider where he's at, and what's considered reasonable behavior in this situation. His was reasonable.
Well let me say that I do apologize to comradehoser for the remark about looking for bikes on front porches. Yes, peripatic I suppose I was venting. I just don't like the idea of "scavenging," and I guess I expressed it a little too strongly in this case. I don't live on the east coast or in a big city, so I'm no expert on what goes on there. But from what I've seen, scavenging is often stretched into stealing, and I've been the victim of this type of thing a time or two, and it's a sore subject for me. What defines "left on the street?" Three feet from the curb? Six feet? I know, you big city guys will say "unlocked, and it's fair game." I'm sure that's true in some places, but it doesn't make it right.......comradehoser, I do wonder if there wasn't a corresponding house near the curb where you found the bike. Could you knock on the door and ask about the bike? Maybe, after all, someone did crash it into an overhang and they were just so disgusted they left it-