Old 02-25-17, 08:29 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
When doing that use a separate micro-SD adapter instead of the GPS USB interface. It's much, much faster.
that's what I did the first time, but I'm not sure I would bother any more. I use linux, it maps the SD card in the Garmin as a removable disk and you can just upload sometime when the speed doesn't matter to you. Windows does that too, although some systems have been locked down to the point that it's really difficult. Most notably the public computer at the Weisel Youth Hostel, where people that have d/l the wrong route on to their device get to struggle with Win 10 security trying to format their garmin. Fortunately, the time I did that someone had their laptop, and I used that. I suggest not loading routes the night before, and make sure it's the correct route if you are using someone else's route. I find it best to copy the route (from someone I trust) onto my RWGPS account. Then I check the route using the official cue sheet before exporting it to my device.

It's been a long time, so I don't remember uploading the maps, I recall it's easiest to let the GPS write its file system to the memory card before you start moving maps and routes onto the device. I think I've done it both with USB and by removing the card. I uploaded a second series of maps before riding in North Carolina because it wasn't on the maps I put on it at first.