Old 12-18-05, 06:09 PM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
Maybe, after all, someone did crash it into an overhang and they were just so disgusted they left it-
That's kind of what I think, personally. As far as "scavenging" goes, in most big cities, it's not only acceptable, it's also very beneficial: here in NYC, where solid waste production per capita is greater than anywhere else in the world, people reusing others' junk actually benefits the city and the environment. I used to live in San Diego, and there, anyone who wanted to leave a large piece of trash either had to call and have Salvation come get it, or haul it to the landfill themselves: anything too big for the trucks would garner a fine. But in NYC and other NErn cities, mattresses, large pieces of furniture, and--worst of all--computers and consumer electronics, are an all-too-frequent feature of the sidewalk landscape.

As Top said, here in the NE, once it reaches the curb, it's fair game. Everyone knows this, and no one gets burned: if you leave something out, and you don't guard it, you can't blame its loss on theft. (Of course, this makes moving a real PIA.) I once scored a really nice banana plant off the street in front of an office building, but didn't have time to take it up to my apt. on the third floor, so I tried just nestling it among the trash cans in front of my building. A few hours later, I returned, and the lovely tree was gone. I was bummed and a bit surprised, but also gratified to know that even though I hadn't held onto it, it still wasn't headed for the landfill in Pennsylvania. Being ethical about scavenging is important; but I think scavenging, as opposed to consuming and wasting, is perhaps inherently more ethical: at least it serves a useful purpose. (Of course, I am not implying that this applies to the thief-posing-as-scavenger, who's just as much a thief as any other larcenist.)