View Single Post
Old 02-25-17, 08:10 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie72
I'm fine thanks. The dogs were on leashes but they were those extendable ones and the owner wasn't quite in control. I did wonder whether I should have taken further action, but the injury was minor so decided to chalk it up to experience. I'm sure there was more I could have done to not surprise the owner/dogs, but these things tend to occur to you after the event!
Since I was about 5, I have been bitten by numerous dogs, not to to mention geese, and an occasional horse (and have scars to prove it). Animals have mouths and teeth (or beaks, or bills), and they bite. I have never bothered to file reports or call the police, because animals have their own minds, and even when under the control of their owners, they often do what they want to do.

The only bad occasion was when I was working as a police officer, and was one day writing a citation for a code violation. I was arguing with the home owner about the citation when I heard screaming nearby. A woman was walking a toy poodle, and two pit bull dogs were attacking it. I ran across the street with another officer to help.

There was a large, female pit bull, the other was still a puppy, each had one end of the poodle in their mouth, and were trying to pull it apart. Hitting and kicking them did not work, pepper spray did not work. I dreaded to do it, but I drew my sidearm (a Colt Python), and was just getting ready to shoot the larger of the dogs when their owner showed up. He hit the larger one on the head with a board, and it let go, he grabbed the puppy by it's tail, and tossed it over a chain link fence.

The poodle was in bad shape, and pit bulls were illegal in the county where I worked. The poodle was put to sleep at the vet's office, which was lucky for the pit bull owner, because had it lived, the bills would have been expensive. Animal control came to pick up his dogs, and they were euthanized, along with 3 others he had on his properly.