View Single Post
Old 02-25-17, 09:20 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,522 Times in 2,862 Posts
Originally Posted by Vortac180
With 15 years in the emergency department, I've only seen one actual acetaminophen overdose death, although, I admit, a goodly number that could have died had we not intervened. In contrast, I've seen a few deaths from NSAIDS over the years, including ibuprophen, usually due to bleeding ulcers. NSAID overuse can lead to kidney failure, dialysis and other problems.

I see alcohol-related death at least a few times a year. ETOH is, by far, the worst legal drug we have in society (my opinion only, feel free to differ), due to its prevalence, ease of availability and potency, with side effects that can be lethal or incredibly harmful--including addiction, liver failures like cirrhosis, FLD or portal hypertension with GI bleeds, accidental or violent injury or death, over sedation with respiratory failure, cardiac dysrhythmia, withdrawal seizures and psychosis, encephalopathy and dementia, aspiration pneumonia and sepsis, divorce, homelessness and other social or financial problems.

Despite all that, I still feel that alcohol being legal, taxed and controlled is probably the best plan. We may need to do some adjusting of the laws from time to time to minimize the ills. I feel some the the producers of beverages should pony up and pay for some of the societal costs. Doctors and others who say one drink a day is OK are probably technically correct for some people, but it's difficult to control oneself, and many people take too much or too often. I usually recommend stopping drinking alcohol and finding healthier ways to enjoy yourself. Like bicycling!
I agree those acetaminophen statistics are suspect.
I had copy/pasted that for the harmful effects explanation, and when I went back and reread it later, the stats seemed excessive.

A also agree on the ETOH policy.
I am a non-drinker, but the last thing we need is to repeat the disaster of prohibition.

Something interesting I read in an interview once about drinking:
The reporter was talking to a medical researcher who had done extensive research with ETOH;
After he had elaborated on the adverse effects, she asked a question like:
"But as long as the drinking is done at safe levels..."

At this point he interrupted with:
"There are no established safe levels!"