View Single Post
Old 12-19-05, 09:30 AM
comradehoser
B.C. to D.C.

Location: between the Popeye's, the liquor store, the funeral home, and the strip club

Bikes: 1992 Miyata Nine 14; 1971 Raleigh Super Course fixie conversion; 2006 Jamis Nova (853 version); 2001 Diamondback Topanga (SS conversion); 1956 Rudge Sports; 1971 Raleigh Competition (processing); 199? Schwinn World Sport (processing)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well-biked: I'm sorry that you've had bad experiences with bike thieves. Who exactly is "THEM", though? To quote a rural south-centralian such as yourself: "We have met the enemy and he is us". WE are all in bed with thieves--or have been thieves--even if we won't admit that to ourselves. Just a point of fact to counter your somewhat black & white moral universe. As for being a thief personally, especially of cherished property, that is not something I relish or can ethically support.

As far as I'm concerned, reusing abandoned stuff is a positive virtue, and a social good, for the reasons peripatetic states. We live in a stupid, throw-away society. Foolish people throw good stuff away all the time. my mom and dad found a washer/dryer that was perfectly fine except for a $1 switch. my bro found a fully functional, perfect breadmaker. Guess it's in my genes.

If a bike is in any way secured and functional, then by my lights, that's probably somebody's bike (although at UMd., they finally cut off a bike that had been u-locked to a mall rail for a year.) Bikes I consider to be abandoned are in clearly public spaces (open fields) and/or are non-functional (broken chain stay, missing/tacoed wheels, no chain, etc.)

Anyways, thanks all for the feedback. Posting's up on craig's list, so hopefully somebody gets their bike back, or I get a lot of parts I couldn't normally afford. Win-win situation? I think so.