Old 03-08-17, 09:34 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by quicktrigger
No thread. I actually had the components for about 6 weeks before I started to build. Had a buddy who were here visiting for several weeks. He and his gf are bike people, and I wanted to have everything in case weather went crappy and needed an inside project i.e. build a bike. That didn't happen, so I built it over a a few weeks when they left. Mostly couple hours at a time kind of deal and irregular. Had a few mis-steps that resulted in new orders. For instance, wrong size seatpost clamp and hunting and finding the correct one in the color I wanted, and then finding something else I wanted to make the order worthwhile.

Here is some highlights on components for you though.
Soma Fog Cutter frame with carbon fiber fork and BSA bottom bracket. Bought colored headset at the same time.
Shimano 3 x 10 SLX mountain bike groupset. 42-30-22 Chainring and 11-36 cassette. Used
Shimano SLX I.S. standard hydraulic brakes which came in configured right hand front brake instead of the left hand front brake I ordered. So had to switch that (to match my other bikes), and changed the hose to color match. Had to bleed one brake 4 times to finally get it working properly.
Shimano RX cyclocross wheels (don't remember the model off top of my head) since it was to be a gravel bike. Needed to be able to take abuse. Centerlock disc brake, with shimano disc rotor.
700x35 Clement Xplor tires.
Flatbar handle bars, as I want to be sitting up to view scenery.
GF bought some nice platform pedals that I don't remember the brand and name of at the moment.
Then misc small items like color matched jockey wheels for the rear derailleur, color matched skewers, and head tube spacers etc.

There were various issues along the way that had to be resolved. Like the mentioned clamp, the handlebar issues, hoses, shifting issue due to mis-aligned hanger (probable my fault). But all part of the learning curve. You have to expect those, and not get frustrated.

Have not cut headtube as of yet until I ride it enough that I decide what height I want, plus the cables are a bit long. Final weight with cages etc was 24.6 pounds.

Here are a couple pics.

The pics don't show in this thread, but by right clicking on them and opening them in a new tab, I was able to see them.

Wow, that Fogcutter is both a beautiful colour and design.

What's the biggest tyre you think you could run on it?

Also I am keen to get your impressions on how comfortable the bike is(i.e. in absorbing road buzz due to steel frame and carbon fork) and if it is plenty stiff enough around the bottom bracket.

With the various issues you had putting that baby together, it would have made for a great standalone thread for is to follow along your progress.

The final pay off certainly makes it all look worthwhile.