Old 03-10-17, 09:23 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Is it though? Raleigh and Diamondback are clearly positioning themselves as brands which will sell direct to the consumer or thru traditional shops.
For the vast majority of cyclists, traditional retail is best because they can try the bike out, ensure proper fit, and have confidence knowing its properly(and safely) set up. This all costs money(the building, employees, inventory, etc) and that cost difference is shown in the price tag.
Also, both companies have contracted with some mobile mechanic companies to provide assembly and tuning to take some of the unknown out of buying a bike online.

This whole corporate discount deal started(i believe) thru both brands partnering with large corporations(the one I work for included) to provide a 'special deal' for employees. Since there isnt any verification, anyone can use the codes to get the lower pricing. Im guessing that was their intent all along as I would guess the number of people who use the discount is extremely small(we are a niche group in the grand scheme of things).

Now, i totally understand why local shops would not want to carry the brand. Makes total sense and why not instead carry a smaller brand like Jamis which is bringing some really cool bikes to the market.

As for bike shops not being able to get the bike for as cheap as I can buy it online...its the same thing with a lot of products at a bike shop. I can buy 5800 STI shifters online for half the cost as my local shop. Same applies for most any components- I can buy it online for 20-50% less. The shop still willingly carries Shimano though. Its the reality of having an online marketplace and a global marketplace competing with local retailers.
You don't think the small shops aren't going to be pissed when they find out Raleigh is charging them more than their customers for the same bike? At the very least it should be the same price for both, then at least the shop can charge more to their customers for the support they will provide. If I was a shop owner and I found out my bike supplier was charging me more than than my customers I'd be livid.