View Single Post
Old 03-10-17, 10:05 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by bradtx
Point being that there is bound to be some intellegent cyclists touring that don't have any maintenance knowledge and won't realize it until something breaks, and of course if something is going to break, it'll be at the worst possible time and place in the tour. Maybe it's time for a thread to make some tourists aware?

Brad
As noted by others above, I agree that more knowledge is always good.

But, where do you stop? There is fixing a flat on one end of the spectrum and replacing a spoke on the drive side on the other end of the spectrum. And a long list of skills in between.

Unless you are traveling alone, there usually are other cyclists around that can help you fix something on a bike well enough to make it ridable to get to a bike shop. I have made a lot of emergency repairs for other cyclists in campgrounds and I thought nothing of it. And I rarely felt that the person I was helping should have had the knowledge that they lacked.