I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,545 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't believe that the cost of bicycles has anything to do with most people not choosing a bicycle as their main form of transportation...Most hipsters who ride bikes don't go to an LBS and spend $ 2000 dollars on a bicycle. They use cheap vintage bicycles which they purchase used at pawn shops and garage sales.
Most of ANYBODY who rides a bike in the U.S. does not buy a bike at a bike shop at any price, nor spend $2000 on a bicycle even if bought from an LBS.

"Department, discount and chain toy stores (mass merchants) sell mostly price-oriented products. Approximately 74% of bicycle units were sold through the mass merchant channel in 2015, representing 32% of the dollars at an average selling price of $89. The market share represents a slight increase from 2013, while the average selling price fell by a few dollars.

The approximately 4,000 specialty bicycle retailers commanded approximately 13% of the bicycle market in terms of unit sales in 2015, but 49% of the dollars, a dominant dollar share. Dealer price points generally start at around $200, with the average at $753, though prices can range into the thousands."
Industry Overview 2015 - National Bicycle Dealers Association