View Single Post
Old 03-16-17, 09:07 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,501 Times in 1,451 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The Cygolite system also has a flaw in battery management. If you do happen to have spare batteries, the only way that I can see to charge them is in the light. So if you do need to use 2 batteries for 3 hours on high, how are you going to charge both batteries overnight?
That flaw doesn't affect some people, depending on how they use the light, but it is serious for others.

Can a Cygolite light work while being charged? That would be nice. My B&M battery-powered light (IXON Core) can accept a charge and keep on working. I used it on an all day ride and powered it (and other things) with a big external USB battery. So my "spare" battery doesn't go inside the light. Of course, this is not terribly convenient, using a USB cable and figuring how to mount the external battery in a stable way. It was OK for me because it was an unusual ride for me. If I had to power a light all day often, I would probably do something else.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.