Old 03-17-17, 07:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Nothing. Doesn't affect me one way or another as long as they're riding with the same courtesy we'd expect from any rider, and show to others.

I was passed for the first time by an ebike a few weeks ago. Only reason I noticed was because I was flying at one of the fastest paces I've managed since resuming cycling in 2015, on a slight downhill grade with no wind -- and was still passed like I was stopped by a fat bike. Nothing unusual there, I've been passed by human powered fat bikes before, even when I thought I was pedaling flat out. Only after he passed did I realize it was an ebike. That was less humiliating than being passed by a human powered fat bike with knobbies doing 20 mph when I was doing 18 mph on my old rigid mountain bike with city tires.

In January I realized a friend was using e-assist bikes only when we rode together and he mentioned it. We'd ridden in casual groups before and the 10-12 mph pace didn't draw any attention. But on our more recent ride we tackled a hilly route on a windy day and I noticed he was passing me easily on hills with a head wind -- riding a heavy comfort hybrid, while I was on a lighter rigid frame bike. He just laughed and pointed to the e-assist mechanism that kicked in on hills and on demand.

I'd consider an e-assist bike if I rode more often in heavy traffic. There are some busy stretches I avoid because I can't sustain a 20 mph speed for longer than a sprint on some slight uphill grades. But having an assist to get through a tricky mile-long or so segment might be helpful and safer.