View Single Post
Old 03-20-17, 07:38 AM
Greggster

Bikes: 80/90's Specialized Crossroads (3), '91 Miyata Triplecross, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, 2002 Schwinn Frontier, 2002 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2009 Trek FX 7.2, 2014 Motobecane 400 HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
speedf8 – The fit and components of the Trek FX2 is very good, without overspending for components that provide little to no advantage. I don't have experience with carbon forks, but I can tell you that aluminum frames will provide a big shock if you're experienced only with steel. I didn't like mine after the first 20 mile ride – the stiff frame rattled my teeth out! But I found that some fat slicks (40mm Kenda Kwest), a web sprung seat (Viscount Comfort Plus), ergonomic grips (Ergon GC2-L), and larger flat pedals smoothed it out. I eventually switched out my 110mm handlebar stem for a 90mm to pride a perfect fit for my 25" frame. I doubt puncture resistant tires do much to ward off flats – I resist anything that increases tire cost and weight. Instead, I carry a small pack with a spare tube, repair kit and a small frame-mount pump. I've heard too many horror stories about carbon components, so for me it's a non-starter. I think the FX2 looks better with fat tires, and the ride is fast and stable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek FX Web1.jpg (103.4 KB, 341 views)

Last edited by Greggster; 03-21-17 at 02:26 PM.