Old 03-20-17, 07:28 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
No.
Inside face of the dropout is the reference. From there it's 4 mm to the inside face of the caliper (adapter) mount.
Thickness of dropout or thickness of caliper (adapter) mount isn't specified on the Hayes drawing I have.
My bet is on the hub, and/or the 6-bolt adapter.

Yes, front mount.
It's what manufacturers should have done from the beginning.
Rear mounted calipers have the nasty habit of trying to eject the wheel during braking.
On an old fork with vertical dropouts and very shallow lawyer lips, it's even more the right thing to do.

Left or right mount has no functional difference. Front or rear has.
But front-and-left would require mounting the caliper upside-down, which would make routing the cable/hose awkward.

Not really. As far as the brake goes, it's just like I'm running the fork backwards. If I were to turn the bars 180 degrees I'd get a bone-stock left/rear brake mount.

Well, I'm certainly not going to cut it out again!

Might tweak the fit some and put a brake mount on the original threaded fork instead.

Really didn't think I'd need to do that when I'd found so clear drawings of how the brake mounts should be.
The original question is "What went wrong?" Obviously something did, else there would be no error. I fully understand all the points you made, and if you'd re-read what I wrote, you would also read that I don't think you are dense, I was trying to be helpful.

I'm playing in my head the kind of thought process that would lead ME to go "WTF?" with my self and my own creations. Flipping a thing over, then turning it around would be the kind of thing that would lead me to reference the wrong index surface...compensating for compensating, if that's a good way to put it. How thick is your front drop out minus paint and this side of part or that? Combined with the spacers, combined with the nuts added/subtracted? 3, 4, 5mm?

I dunno, I just thought it was worthy of mention...the kind of mistake I would make. It's not like I'm a professional bike maker, I just machine airplane things when needed. Left blueprint shown and right side part needed, but reversed, have done me in before, I sort of thought that may be the root cause here too.

Carry on.

Car dependency is a tax.