Old 03-21-17, 05:58 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Now Here is a Reason to Buy a New/Lighter Bike

Background: I will hit age 68 this year and have been riding 5-10K miles per year for 2-3 years now. Not much before that except for a couple years in the 90's. I own a Bianchi EL/OS Nivacrom Steel road bike (that I bought in the 90's) and have upgraded to a Campy Chorus (2014) groupset, new wheels, pedals (Garmin Vector), saddle, and that is about it. Stripped down to 'how a bike is sold' (no meters, pedals, etc) it weighs in about 18 pounds. Hardly heavy but not light. And I am not kidding here - I have NEVER ridden another road bike of any size, shape, or form. No joke.

My garage is crowded so I keep the bike hanging from the ceiling where it is out of the way. I am developing rotator cuff issues in my shoulder and getting this thing on/off its hooks is becoming somewhat painful. So how about this for an excuse to buy a new/lighter bike!!

But the truth is that I like this bike, it has a measure of 'coolness' to it that $2-3K worth of new bike won't match, and I just like this bike. And I don't want another one (or if I did it would be an additional bike like a TT bike, but that hardly addresses the problem as I don't see myself turning a TT bike into my daily rider). I really don't even want to know that I would like some other bike better. And I can do the math and 2-3 fewer pounds is not zero, but it isn't some big deal either.

FWIW.

dave