Old 03-22-17, 09:49 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
Sorry to hear that you lost a really nice bike. But how is your riding it (or not) related to someone stealing it - just curious.

dave
Not much. It was a 54cm and I ride a 59cm. It was just a "guest" bike.

The bike that was stolen was a violation and unsettling, so I wish it had never happened. I feel differently about where we live.

But - I made money on the deal - straight up and told the adjuster that. That is just how the policy goes - old gets replaced by new, or their calculated depreciated value. It is a good policy that we've paid them 20X our claims over the last decades. Nothing approaching a scam is here, just choices.

I don't race, my kid does. But I have as good as I want for him and good enough for me. I can get bikes below cost using my kid's price (I'm upfront, I just get that price). I could buy, then sell, but I don't want the hassle.

But...we got our bikes. I ride - slowly, he rides fast.

So, I am at a loss of not having a bike and I have $2400.
Or
I buy what I want at my discount, sell my existing and insurance company will give the difference (I likely would not hit the cap), but I'll be out that $2,400 plus $500 deductible. So maths aside I can get any bike for a cost to me of about $2,900 - then sell mine, maybe.