View Single Post
Old 03-26-17, 10:04 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 1,663 Times in 953 Posts
+1
Or if your knees are hurting, the bike fit is what may be the problem.

I think if the OP can spin up in a 42/32 they really don't have any hills.

Here in Seattle, for road bikes at least, A 50/34 and an 11/28 or 11/32 cassette is a pretty standard configuration. and still results in grinding up more often than most people would probably care to admit.

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
This depends a lot on the area you live in and the condition you are in when you start trying to build your climbing ability. If you are in Kansas, Nebraska, Florida.... then the hills you are going to run into are quite different than the Seattle area, or an area like Seattle. And, if you are already in good shape and no knee problems, you can approach the hills differently.

The OP needs to look at his/her environment and own health, then look at the suggestions. If your muscles are hurting and lungs burning, you are probably still safe, but you might give up if you overdo it. But, if you knees are hurting, you are definitely overdoing it and will likely injure yourself. Push yourself, don't hurt yourself. Getting better on hills is likely to be painful, but should not cause injuries.

Car dependency is a tax.

Last edited by base2; 03-26-17 at 10:29 AM.