View Single Post
Old 03-26-17, 10:54 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 1,663 Times in 953 Posts
But there is still nearly a 20 percent difference between her "spin" up the hill gears and our "grind" up the hill gears. This is what makes me think they don't really have hills.

Being from Vancouver, now YOU guys know hills. I'm surprised that you would say 35 gear inches is reasonable. Perhaps a lifetime of all those hill just make you guys stronger? Last I was there, I had 36/25 with 700c's and I thought I was going to die!

We might be on to something here...defining terms we are using. I've always considered anything over 100 rpm as spinning, and anything under 75 0r 80 grinding. In my mind nothing is more than an incline or a rise in the road until at least 3 or 4 percent. A "hill" is steeper.

Originally Posted by gregf83
42/32 is about the same as 34/26 which is a reasonable gear but I suspect the OPs definition of 'spinning' still needs a little work. 90RPM with a 42/32 is close to 10mph which might feel slow but isn't walking speed.

Car dependency is a tax.