View Single Post
Old 03-27-17, 12:13 PM
Tanstaafl

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Many, if to most of the organized rides in Waller County are "MS150 Recommended Rides". Because of this, the MS Society hosted a cycling summit at their offices in December of 2016. Attendees included The Waller county Judge, Waller County Sheriff, other Waller County officials, Ride directors from several of the rides going through Waller County, and members of the MS150 Executive Committee. I can't speak for the mayor, I don't think he was there, but the Sherrif and County Judge certainly do not "hate" bike riders.

During the meeting, the judge explained most of the problems did not come from people on organized bike rides, but from the many independent riders who ride out there every weekend. When residents are constantly calling the sheriff and the judge about bike riders hogging the lanes, trespassing and using their property for urinals, it will draw a reaction. That is what happened during last years Bluebonnet ride.

I won't go into all the details, but it was a very pleasant and fruitful meeting that ensured organized bike rides would be welcome in Waller County.

The secret to an enjoyable ride in Waller County is simple: Don't trespass. Don't piss in people's yards. Don't impede traffic. Stop at STOP signs.

As for the original subject of the thread, I am very saddened by deaths of the two riders. I worked at Baker Hughes for many years and many of the people there were like family. My prayers go out to the families of both victims.