Old 03-27-17, 09:44 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
Dave- I would disagree somewhat with some of your comments. Cog C-C and der throw is vital to index quality. As wear and cable friction induce their changes these issues do not become forgotten, in many cases things get worse. When one builds a system for their own use all kinds of compromise can be overlooked and accepted. But when one gets paid for this stuff the standard is a bit higher.

We agree that Sachs Ergos pull Campy 8 speed cable needs. But I say with good understanding that Sachs intended Shimano compatible ders to do this. The index gear is a different one. Close but not the same. Why would Campy make an index gear for the shifters they made under contract to Sachs? Because of the $. Pure simple business. Campy wasn't in the best spot back then cash flow wise.

I do wonder if your Sachs shifter had the index wheel switched out to a Campy one (or a simple Campy body with a Sachs hood on it) therefore it's working with Campy ders and not Shimano. Andy