Old 12-20-05, 04:01 PM
bellweatherman

Bikes: Too many to count

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Pontificato
Along with some tools I also need to a workstand. Stowability is of prime imortance as is cost.

Unless some of those 2nd tier mfr. workstands (Minoura, Sette) are worth buying I'd like to stick with Park Tools. The PCS-1 is within budget but appears to be a bit too large when "folded". The PCS-4 looks very nice but it's a bit out of my budget and again, doesn't appear to fold down small enough.

All things considered the PCS-9 appears to be what I'm looking for. OK, so the clamp isn't as fancy and you can't raise the clamp work height to 6 feet but we're on a budget.

But I also noticed that Park is coming out with an upgraded version, the PCS-10, in "early Spring 2006". Nicer clamp...Nylon fittings that allow the folded legs snap onto the main tube for easier storage and carrying.

An email to Park Tool reveals the selling price will be in the $150-165 range. They didn't give any hints about when they'll actually be available for purchase but then again, I didn't ask.

Is anyone else considering a PCS-10? Anyone have the inside track on then these workstands will actually hit the shelves?

Man, what a dilemna. Impulse buy and get the PCS-9. Instant gratification and you can start using it immediately. But, the ability to store it easier with the more compact feature of the upcoming PCS-10 will be a welcome feature for the home mechanic that stores his stuff in the closet. I know, my old stand took up a lot of room in the bedroom closet back in my college days. And what's a couple months anyway?