Old 03-31-17, 04:09 PM
ironknee

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Elite DSW

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
I have been getting minor pain after almost every bike ride. Taking Turmeric supplements and they have really helped a lot. I was about ready to see an Ortho about my knee pain.
At what point does one seriously consider TKR? I'm glad to read that those that have had it done can still ride. Has it hindered anyone in any way, on or off the bike (once recovered)?
Thanks everyone for the support. Didn't get to ride today as it has rained maybe 2 inches here. And my new bike is still at the LBS getting refined. I did get a fitting today for it- pretty cool computerized stuff they used. New shoes and pedals too. Went with mountain bike shoes and a pedal thats flat on one side and that you can click into on the other- very cool. New more upright stem (for my creaky neck), a different saddle, putting on 165mm cranks, and also a 36 cassette on back for major granny gear- I live in some big mountains.

About the knee:

I've been told by my OS that I really cant hurt this new joint unless I get into stuff like basketball or tennis- quick lateral pounding = bad for new knee's life expectancy. Cycling is supposed to be the absolute best- except for maybe swimming- but who the hell wants to do that?? And I hate jogging too.

My knee got really bad. I had bone on bone, lots of bone spur formations, and my leg started to bow out and deform. It was old football injuries from high school and college that started the whole thing. I got to where I only had about 95 degrees of bend. Now only 10 weeks out of surgery I have 107 and will get more in the next few months.

If you are bone on bone, and having big pain doing things you love, its time. Don't give up what you love. I gave up a lot of activities in my forties because of my knee. But now- I'm ready to take them up again.

I've read that guys with new knees- some on here too- aren't really limited at all cycling- if anything they are better than pre op. So I'm counting on that!

Last edited by ironknee; 03-31-17 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added info